That is right you heard me, the DroidX has been rooted without explosion or any women or child injured. Right now this is just a step in rooting and isn’t a full method that we will be able to use for rom swapping but this does grants us right to writing to the file system and gain SU (SuperUser)… This posts gives me a little joy deep down and I would like to use 4 words to describe what I feel…. “I TOLD YOU SO!” I was being scorned the other night from members of a certain IRC chat thinking they knew more then the next man. The said the DroidX would never be rooted and the signed boot loader is something of Fort Knox relation. The point of it is that anything can happen if people are optimistic. If we need keys to a certain signing they were made by man so why can’t that man leak them. I have saw a lot of crazier things happen and I never exclude the “what ifs.” So if you feel like exploding your phone you can try the method below… WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU BRICKING YOUR PHONE SO TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK! Thanks to AllDroid.org for the how-to below
Download is attached at the bottom, READ THE GUIDE!
REMEMBER WHERE YOU SAW IT FIRST!
(Run means type the command in quotes [but not the quotes] then press the Enter key)
- Download the attached archive and expand it to a folder you can find (eg. c:DroidXRoot_v2)
- Set up ADB (Step-by-step guide for Windows Vista/7 HERE. <– USE THAT THREAD FOR ADB SUPPORT PLEASE.)
- On the phone: Home, Menu Button, Settings, Applications, Development: Make sure the “USB debugging” option is enabled/checked.
- Status bar, USB connection: Make sure “PC Mode” is selected.
- Open a command prompt (Windows: Start, Run, “cmd”, OK; Linux: Terminal)
- Run “adb devices”. If you don’t see your device listed under “List of devices attached”, return to step 2 and follow the link to setup ADB (use that topic for support) and return here when “adb devices” lists your X.
- Run “CD c:DroidXRoot” (or where ever you expanded the archive)
- Run “adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk“
- Run “adb push su /sdcard/su“
- Run “adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox“
- Run “adb push exploid /sqlite_stmt_journals/exploid“
- Run “adb shell“
- Run “cd sqlite_stmt_journals“
- Run “chmod 755 exploid“
- On your phone, navigate to a screen where you can switch wifi/bluetooth on/off easily (settings, or a home screen with a widget)
- IMMEDIATELY after executing the next step, toggle wifi or bluetooth off and back on
- Run “./exploid” and follow directions on screen. Once this completes you’ll be back at a shell prompt.
- Run “rootshell“. You’ll be prompted for a password.
- Type in password “secretlol” and press Enter then you are root! (You’ll know because your prompt will now be a “#” instead of “$”)
- Run “cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk“
- Run “cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su“
- Run “cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox“
- Run “chmod 4755 /system/bin/su“
- Run “chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox“
- Run “rm /system/bin/rootshell“
- Run “exit” to drop from root to a non-root user shell (on phone still)
- Run “exit” to drop back to your machine command prompt (instead of phone)To Confirm root is established:
- Run “adb shell“
- Run “su” (now you should see the # sign which indicates you are root)
- Watch your screen so you can allow Superuser root access.
You’re done! feel free to kill the bloat apps snd such.
NOTE: It might be a smart idea to do “rm /system/bin/rootshell” after you have su and superuser in place as ANY program will have access to your root if you leave it (cause everyone will know the password)
- Sebastian Kramer for this blog post - http://c-skills.blogspot…07/android-trickery.html
- Birdman – for editing Sebastians work for the droidx
- [mbm] – for answering birdmans many questions while root was tried (and failed xD)
The blog list
- Birdman – @mrweeeedbirdman – http://stevenbird.info
- Rainabba – @rainabba – http://rainabba.blogspot.com
Evidence of root
As is always the case with this sort of activity, you do this completely at your own risk. AllDroid, Rainabba and Birdman take NO responsibility for the outcome.
DOWNLOAD ZIP BELOW (You Must be Registered to this site to see the download link below)
Category: Android News
About the Author (Author Profile)
I am the Owner/Founder of WJDDesigns.com & GizmoNinja.com , I was born in to a world that was emerging on the frontier of technology. Within time I self taught himself everything from coding to graphic design and wanted to bring my creations to the public by the masses. With the new growing world of mobile applications I could achieve just that. I am always looking to learn something new and provide the best service and information I can. I am really a cool and calm type of guy who is more of a lounge party setting then going to the loudest rock concert ever. When I go out to eat at fancy places the ambiance is what I comment on first, if the ambiance is poor then my food doesn’t go down as good. I look at everything around me that has different shapes and colors which creates ideas I use in my everyday projects. I try to live life to the fullest when life dishes out free time. I love to teach everyone I know who isn’t as tech literate as myself and give them more information to better their decisions. The progression in technology is life, it’s my life.