iPhone 4 “Death Touch” turns into an industry wide “Death Grip”?

| July 19, 2010 | 12 Replies

It has been reported that some users of Apple’s iPhone 4 have experienced a drop in reception when holding their phones a certain way.   This has been known previously as the “Death Touch”.  On Friday during Apple’s Press Conference we found out that there really is no “software fix” for this, and that  speculation of similar reception issues was aimed directly at others such as RIM and Android.  Since Friday, there has been twice as much verbal traffic on this issue with many people now referring to the problem as an industry wide “Death Grip”.  Some people have not been able to get their devices to lose signal strength, while others were successful in losing bars while holding their devices tight.

I decided to test this theory out on my Storm 2 in hopes of putting the speculation to rest.  As you will see in the pictures below I took (2) screen shots of my device.  The first picture will show my phone being held casually as I normally would.  You will see I have 4 bars.

Now take a look and what happened when I decided to do the  “Death Grip” test.   Needless to say Apple has a made a valid point, in my opinion.

More on this developing story below.

One of the greatest tricks Apple pulled off at the iPhone 4 press conference was changing the dialog from death-touch — a single point of antenna trouble on iPhone 4 — to death-grip — a device-wide point of antenna trouble faced by the entire industry.

Apple for their part did cop to making iPhone 4’s point of attenuation very external and incredibly visible. Steve Jobs called it “x-marks the spot”, but then Apple very quickly moved on from this death-touch to a wider death-grip and demonstrated it on handsets from RIM’s BlackBerry to HTC’s Droid to Samsung’s Windows Mobile.

I initially thought this was a mistake on Apple’s part — that they were spending too much time deflecting onto the competition. Turns out I underestimated Apple, but not as badly as the competition. What Apple very neatly managed to do there was conflate their own widely reported iPhone 4 death-touch into the very real but widely under-reported death-grip phenomena that does indeed affect the entire industry.

What’s more, by those very competitors responding that the death-grip either didn’t affect their devices, was minimal at best, or wouldn’t affect future devices, they cinched it for Apple. They became part of the problem. Why?

Because their devices absolutely suffer from the death grip. Instead of pointing out that yes, Apple was correct, the death-grip was an industry-wide problem but the death-touch was thus far unique to Apple, RIM BlackBerry, Samsung, and Nokia denied the death-grip, thus ensuring everyone with the issue — or just an itch for attenuation attention — would fire up YouTube and make a video clearly discrediting their statements.

HTC for their part just said they didn’t have many reports of the problem. However, as David Chartier points out, HTC effectively white-labels their phones to Verizon and they didn’t make it clear whether the number of complaints they reported included Verizon numbers. This is similar to Apple citing AT&T return numbers for iPhone 4, not gross Apple return numbers. It’s what brought about the saying “lies, damn lies, and statistics”.

My original take on Apple’s press conference was that Steve Jobs should have just stressed that making the iPhone 4 antenna the way they did was a trade-off, better battery life and stronger signal in many cases in exchange for that single point of problem — the lower left hand corner death-touch. Andy Ihnatko made the same point, if more eloquently. Arguably a modern smartphone has any number of tradeoffs — AMOLED screens offer better color and blacks that utterly fail in direct sunlight. (Free sun-screens anyone?)

I still think Apple should have been crystal clear about that trade-off, but it’s looking increasingly like they didn’t have to. In their rush to get comments out in front of the media RIM, Samsung, Nokia, et al have let the conversation get changed from death-touch to death-grip, and they’ve let videos on their own handsets propagate across the web. One look at BlackBerry on Boy Genius, Nokia on Electronista, Samsung on InformationWeek, HTC on Engadget, many others via Daring Fireball, and even manufactures’ own warnings against touching their antennas in their own manuals via 1FPS shows how they’ve become part of a story that last week was all about Apple.

Sure a few sites like Ars Technica and When Will Apple? will raise a fuss over it, but it’s done. Competitors dove headlong into it. And since Apple has now effectively priced the death-touch problem as one free case per phone, all that remains to be seen is if competitor’s denials + customers videos = free cases for other phones too.

So I underestimated Apple but they didn’t underestimate their competition.

Note: this editorial is based on a Twitter conversation with Seth Weintraub from 9to5Mac who is absolutely right, one day college courses will be taught on these PR tactics. Check out his article on Fortune.

Source: Tipb

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Apple News, Tech News

About the Author ()

Co-owner and Editor-in-Chief of GizmoNinja.com.

During the day I work in graphic design and also do photography. By night I try to play with programming and code of all different types. I love the opportunity to write for the site and hope to see it grow as time goes on.

• Jason Ortega says:

Is this….just for phones on ATNT?? Cause I am squeezing my Storm 1 on Verizon as hard as I can and am getting 0 signal differentiation

• Jason Ortega says:

• Chris Bogart says:

I’m on Verizon, if I squeezed this thing any harder I would have never had signal again. I have to believe that this is a standard issue all across the board that does not necessarily have to effect every user, on every carrier. Similar to a bad file, or download. This is something most wont experience unless they absolutely, brutally try to replicate it.

• Chris Bogart says:

• WJD says:

I think honestly it has to do with the PRL and reception area and carrier and a lot of variables to be directed for all phones. Now if you single out an iPhone which is one phone that is made only for GSM (in the US) their radios are made to work as best as they can to help with ATT crappy service. IMHO They failed in doing just that and like I said ATT is crappy so they are working with that – but if you look at his press conference for the antennae before the iPhone was released, it was revolutionary in design and he hyped it to much up to just later let down customers. Every device has a flaw, but when you hype something up to be gods gift to the mobile world then you better dish it out Jobs…

• WJD says: