Lets face it, if you have rooted you android phone chances are u are always looking for the next coolest and easiest way to customize your phone. I am the exact same way, and thought I would tell you how I change my boot animation and splash screen to my liking.
First off is my splash screen. Right now I have a Droid Incredible so I head over the XDA threads and grab one of several splash screens already made by others. This is the one I am using though ….thanks Wayne!
Incredible users head over to this XDA thread:
And download one of the many floating around!
The Instructions are simple and easy thanks to touchpro247:
To install you must reboot to hboot.
1. Place the PB31IMG.zip on the root of your SD card.
2. Power off the device.
3. Hold the volume-down and power buttons at the same time.
4. Follow the on screen instructions.
If you want to make your own splash screen visit this great HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN CUSTOM SPLASH SCREEN!
And last is Boot Animations!
My favorite way to change animations is through an app called “Boot Animation Changer”. It has a free and premium version, I haven’t tried the premium version as I feel like there are enough options in the free one to get me by. There are 14 different free boot animations and all u have to do is choose your animation, reboot and Viola your done! Of course root is required. The boot animation I use is super Mario brother’s, see it in action on YouTube HERE.
And you can download it from the Android Market HERE.
Now if you ever come across a boot animation in an android forum or somewhere else and want to know how to put it in you Droid …follow these simple instructions :
1.Unzip the files into your Android-SDK/tools folder
2. Make sure nothing is currently selected, then hold Shift and right click inside your tools folder
3. Choose “Open command window here” and type in the following commands: adb push (whatever’s animation file is named.zip)/data/local and then adb push (whatever audio file is named )/data/local followed by adb reboot
4. Your phone should now reboot with the animation and sound you chose
HOW TO CREATE YOUR OWN BOOT ANIMATION:
Dimensions will vary per your Android Device, these are instructions for Moto Droid, see ur Device dimensions and insert.
1. Download a stock boot animation to your PC.
2. Extract bootanimation.zip to a folder.
3. You should find 2 folders and 1 file: part0, part1, and desc.txt. The part0 folder contains .png files which bo but do not loop. The part1 folder contains your .png files which will loop over and over again. The desc.txt are the settings you can tweak including how big you want your custom boot animation to display. 480 427 30p 1 0 part0p 0 10 part1 (480 427 the dimensions)
4. In Photoshop or your other image editing program, put together your series of .png files which will replace the images in part0 and part1. Make sure your file names follow a series similar to this: boot_00001.png, boot_00002.png, etc.
5. Once you have finished, replace the .png files in part0 and part1 with your new series.
6. Highlight part0, part1, and desc.txt and then right click and choose “Add to archive…”
7. Click the dot for “ZIP” and under compression method choose “Store.”
8. Make sure the .zip which is created is named “bootanimation.zip”.
Now you are done and can push your boot animation to your phone. See how to instructions above.
So what are you waiting for, go change how your phone starts up and looks. Enjoy.
About the Author (Author Profile)
Co-owner and Editor-in-Chief of GizmoNinja.com.
During the day I work in graphic design and also do photography. By night I try to play with programming and code of all different types. I love the opportunity to write for the site and hope to see it grow as time goes on.