Droid X Modified Gallery by WJD

| September 10, 2010 | 19 Replies

I set out to edit my first system file because I was annoyed by it. The stock gallery in the Droid X has the worst background that should be fully black to help the rendering process. Instead of the application rendering some horrible gradient background it should just render the thumbnails, so I changed that real quick. Next up was the photo frame widget that the gallery uses. I love the black frame look seen in other gallery apps, so I took the white and changed it to a slick black gradient frame with a slight shadow. Granted this is NOT a huge modded thing – it will be a great addition to any Droid X, enjoy!

*Note – This may work with other FROYO devices out there – so please test and comment!*

UPDATE.ZIP Method proves to be working perfectly so try this method first!

1. Download ZIP File Here
2. Place on SD Card of device
3. Boot into recovery (clockwork recovery or other custom recovery)
4. Install Zip from SD Card
5. Locate “WJDGalleryMod.zip.zip” and click install
6. Reboot and ENJOY

Here’s how to install using Root Explorer

Download APK File HERE

1.  Open Root Explorer

2.  Select “System”

3.  Select “App”

4.  Click “Mount R/O in the upper right to mount the drive

5.  Scroll to MediaGallery.apk and long press

6.  Select Rename, and rename this to MediaGallery.bak  (this will save but disable the current Media Gallery)

7.  Install new MediaGallery.apk

8.  Enjoy!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Category: Android News

About the Author ()

I am the Owner/Founder of WJDDesigns.com & GizmoNinja.com , I was born in to a world that was emerging on the frontier of technology. Within time I self taught himself everything from coding to graphic design and wanted to bring my creations to the public by the masses. With the new growing world of mobile applications I could achieve just that. I am always looking to learn something new and provide the best service and information I can. I am really a cool and calm type of guy who is more of a lounge party setting then going to the loudest rock concert ever. When I go out to eat at fancy places the ambiance is what I comment on first, if the ambiance is poor then my food doesn’t go down as good. I look at everything around me that has different shapes and colors which creates ideas I use in my everyday projects. I try to live life to the fullest when life dishes out free time. I love to teach everyone I know who isn’t as tech literate as myself and give them more information to better their decisions. The progression in technology is life, it’s my life.

• Dbl_Tap says:

Is this for an X with 2.2 on it? I tried it on my 2.1 Droid X and it said it had a problem parsing the package. Been hesitant to try the leaked 2.2 cause i didn’t want to lose root.

• Dbl_Tap says:

• h0mewreck3r says:

am I to uninstall the stock “gallery” 1st? I went into applications and it let me uninstall it.

• h0mewreck3r says:

sorry.. should have read “WON’T” let me uninstall it.

• Chris Bogart says:

You should just be able to go into root explorer and rename it to MediaGallery.bak after that you’re good to go.

• h0mewreck3r says:

Yeah.. sorry. Jumped the gun and forgot about the manual process.

Ok, media gallery gone, new one in place. The gallery is the same as your left picture but when I try to create my “photo widget”, I get “photo widget creation failed”.

• Chris Bogart says:

Quick question, are you running 2.1? We are running this on 2.2 and can not replicate the problem.

• h0mewreck3r says:

Yeah. I am on Birdman’s FlyX on my DroidX.

The “Picture Frame Plus Widget” (crap) works. But the “photo widget” does not. I am assuming that is what your talking about in the narrative above “phone frame widget”?

Thanks for the assistance.
            James

• WJD says:

If you know how I would like you to give me a log on the error on this – grab “catlog” from the market (its free) then open it (don’t be scared of the flashing letters) go ahead and hit the menu key > record log > back out of the app and go to your home screen and try inputting the widget – after it doesn’t then go back in Catlog and hit “stop record” > it will then open the log for you – hit the menu button if it isn’t opened > Log Level > click error bubble > and then hit menu and the “more” button > send it as an attachment to support@wjddesigns.com – we will take a look!

• h0mewreck3r says:

• h0mewreck3r says:

sorry.. should have read “WON’T” let me uninstall it.

• Chris Bogart says:

• h0mewreck3r says:

Yeah.. sorry. Jumped the gun and forgot about the manual process.

• Chris Bogart says:

• h0mewreck3r says:

Yeah. I am on Birdman’s FlyX on my DroidX.

Thanks for the assistance.
            James

• WJD says:

• Ufia4u says:

Where did you get that awesome lightsaber pic?