XDA’s forums have been abuzz about the Galaxy S line 2.2 updates getting pushed out to select areas. Samsung has now made an official statement, confirming that the update is indeed rolling out, but only to Sweden, Denmark, Norway,Finland and Iceland (Scandinavia) so far.
Samsung released this statement;
The Android 2.2 upgrade will be available from the mid of October 2010 in the Nordic region and gradually rolled out to other European markets, Southeast Asia, the Middle East Asia, North America, Africa and rest of the world.
The Android 2.2 upgrade offers voice-controlled GPS through Google MapsTM with Navigation, faster performance by JIT(Just in Time) compiler. Additionally, further functionalities including Search in-browser, Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1, improved customization options will be provided with OS upgrade.
- Google MapsTM with Navigation: GPS navigation system with voice guidance
- Adobe® Flash® Player 10.1: Allow the web browser to make full use of the whole web
- Setup Wizard: Quickly customize the GALAXY S and access networks with ease
- Home Screen/Menu Preview and Edit : Preview by pinch-zoom
- Search in-Browser : Google™, Translate, Wikipedia, Dictionary
- Android 2.2 JIT compiler
- Adobe Flash Player 10.1 compatibility
- New Android Market with auto-updating
- Speed improvements
- Pinch-to-zoom homescreen flyover
- Improved default keyboard
- Quick links to “GPS” and “Auto rotation” toggles on notification bar added
- Slightly different graphics and transitions with app drawer and default icon dock
- Colored icons in settings
- GPS Fix
- Colored settings icons
- Media Hub
- Darker menu theme, navy blue color
- Better Exchange support
- Video records in MP4 format
- New Search widget
- New Gmail application
So there you have it. If you have a Galaxy S phone, and happen to be in the Nordic region, feel free to update and let us know how it’s working for you while the rest of us wait (im)patiently for our new dessert.
Category: Android News
About the Author (Author Profile)
Hamilton, Ontario, born and raised. I’m the oldest of two, really into the tech scene. Like my Macbook, Live for my Xbox 360, and LOVE my phones. I work for a large Canadian Telecomm company by day, and a Gizmo Ninja editor by night. I’ve jumped around every mobile OS I can get my hands on, including Symbian, Windows Mobile, WP7, BlackBerry, iOS, Android, etc. Current devices include the HTC Desire Z, HTC Desire HD, Motorola Milestone, HTC HD7, LG Optimus Quantum, and my daily device is my Motorola Atrix.