Looks like our buddies over at Droid Life have come across an update.zip file for those that are like us and want the latest and greatest Google has to offer! Right now as we reported last night Google is pushing out in phases Android HRI66 AKA Android 3.0.1 which pre pairs your XOOM for Adobe Flash 10.2 which has been stated to come out on March 18th!
I for one hate waiting while I see reports of other people getting new OS updates so below (Thanks Droid Life) we have detailed instructions as well as the file needed to do the update. Your XOOM needs to be rooted already and of course there are some risks involved so BE CAREFUL and read ALL instructions!!
DOWNLOAD FILE: CLICK ME!
*YOU HAVE TO BE ROOTED TO DO THIS.
1. Download the .zip file from above and place it in your Android SDK Tools folder.
2. Rename it to update.zip.
3. Open a command prompt from within your SDK Tools folder.
4. Type: adb push update.zip /sdcard/update.zip
5. Type: adb shell
6. Type: su
7. Type: cd /cache
8. Type: mkdir recovery
*You may get a message saying it already exists. This is fine.
9. Type: cd recovery
10. Type: echo ‘–update_package=CACHE:/recovery/update.zip’ > command
11. Type: cat /sdcard/update.zip > update.zip
12. Type: reboot recovery
13. Your XOOM should boot into recovery and update to 3.0.1.
Here are some post update stuff and how to access recovery on the XOOM:
How to boot into recovery:
1. Power off XOOM.
2. Power back on and when the “DUAL CORE” screen pops up, tap the volume down button.
3. Use the volume down button until to you see “Android Recovery” displayed.
4. Press the volume up button.
5. A green Android should appear on your screen.
6. Press Power and volume up (in that order) and you will enter recovery.
Still no luck on getting the device to accept the update file though. Working on it!
How to re-gain root access after the update (if lost):
1. From a command prompt, type the following commands.
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
2. Reboot. Have fun!
We were just handed the Motorola XOOM update file for HRI66, so let’s get you manually updated!
Source: Droid Life
Category: Android News
About the Author (Author Profile)
Co-owner and Editor-in-Chief of GizmoNinja.com.
During the day I work in graphic design and also do photography. By night I try to play with programming and code of all different types. I love the opportunity to write for the site and hope to see it grow as time goes on.