The latest addition to Verizon’s DROID lineup has been officially announced along with its release date. It will become available on April 28th and cost $299 wiht a 2yr contract.
The Charge is the first phone from Samsung to be included in the DROID family, with the existing devices all being from Motorola and HTC.
Fetures of the Charge include a 4.3″ Super AMOLED Plus display, 1GHz single-core processor, 8MP rear camera, 1.3MP front camera and HDMI-out. It will run Samsung’s TouchWiz and will be Verizon’s second 4G LTE phone released (Thunderbolt being the first).
One thing that was noticed in the press release is that it states, “Unlimited 4G LTE data packages start at $29.99 monthly access.”. I’m not sure why it says “start at”, because I don’t know anyone in their right mind that would pay more for a data plan when they already can get unlimited for $29.99. The wording almost seems to point to the tiered data plans coming soon, I guess we’ll see. They also will be throwing in free mobile hotspot for a limited time.
As we previously posted they have started nationwide scavenger hunt contest, similar to the Droid X contest last year, where 16 lucky winners will receive a free Droid Charge.
Here’s the full press release:
DROID CHARGE Joins Verizon Wireless’ DROID family
As Samsung’s First 4G LTE Smartphone
BASKING RIDGE, N.J. –Verizon Wireless and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) today announced that the Droid Charge by Samsung will be available April 28 in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online atwww.verizonwireless.com.
The Droid Charge is designed with Samsung’s 4.3-inch Super AMOLED™ Plus display, setting a new touch screen standard for brightness, clarity and outdoor visibility. The Droid Charge is equipped with both a rear-facing 8 megapixel camera with LED flash and front-facing 1.3 megapixel camera for both stills and video chatting. The smartphone’s 1GHz application processor and HTML 5 Web browser maximizes high-speed 4G LTE connectivity for faster downloads and graphics processing.
- 4G LTE– customers can expect download speeds of 5 to 12 Mbps and upload speeds of 2 to 5 Mbps in 4G Mobile Broadband coverage area
- Android 2.2 platform – With support for Google Mobile Services including Gmail, YouTube™, Google Talk, Google Search, Google Maps and access to more than 150,000 apps available to download from Android Market™
- Adobe® Flash® Player compatible
- Mobile Hotspot capability – share 4G connection with up to 10 WiFi-enabled devices or a 3G connection with up to 5 devices
- Samsung Media Hub – Samsung’s own content service, offering a vast lineup of critically acclaimed films and TV programs for rent or purchase
- Virtual QWERTY Keyboard featuring Swype Technology
Pricing and data plans:
- The Droid Charge by Samsung will be available for $299.99 with a new two-year customer agreement.
- Droid Charge customers will need to subscribe to a Verizon Wireless Nationwide Talk plan and a 4G LTE data package. Nationwide Talk plans begin at $39.99 monthly access. Unlimited 4G LTE data packages start at $29.99 monthly access. Mobile hotspot feature will be included for a limited time at no additional charge.
Find the DROID Charge
Beginning April 21, anyone over the age of 18 can participate in an exclusive Droid Charge Scavenger Hunt. Follow the online clues to find hidden locations in 16 different cities to win a Droid Charge by Samsung. For additional information about the DROID Charge scavenger hunt, visit: http://twitter.com/droidlanding.
About Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s fastest and most advanced 4G network and largest and most reliable 3G network, and serves more than 93 million customers. Headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 80,000 employees nationwide, Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE, NASDAQ: VZ) and Vodafone (LSE, NASDAQ: VOD). For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library atwww.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.
About Samsung Telecommunications America
Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC, a Dallas-based subsidiary of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., researches, develops and markets wireless handsets and telecommunications products throughout North America. For more information, please visit www.samsungwireless.com.
About the Author (Author Profile)
Co-owner and PR guy for GizmoNinja.com. I’m happily married and a father to a wonderful (most of the time) son. I work in the E9-1-1 software/data industry by day and am a tech loving geek in my spare time. I’m interested in all things tech, but am big into Android especially. I dabble in a little of everything – Android development, PC development, web development, etc – but am a master of none (not even close)… But I have fun doing it anyway! =P