As you’ve probably noticed, we don’t run many gaming stories. But with the Electronics Entertainment Expo (E3) just a couple of months away the gaming news and rumors are starting to pick up. Some of the more intriguing rumors thus far are regarding the next generation Nintendo Wii console, the “Wii 2″ (codename: “Project Café”). The rumors range from the console having and amazing GPU that is 85 percent more powerful than that of the Xbox 360 and 30 percent more powerful than the PS3′s to having a crazy 6.2 inch tablet-like “controller” that resembles the iPad.
So read on to see what “Wii 2″ rumors are flying around out there (Remember, these are all just RUMORS, and some may contradict each other)…
- Utilizing an ATI R700 series GPU (possibly clocked at 800MHz)
- Multi-core (three cores?) IBM PowerPC CPU
- “At least” 512MB of RAM
- 6.2 inch tablet-like controller featuring a standard set of buttons and front-mounted (or possibly swiveling) camera. (this “controller” is maybe optional?)
- Tablet-like controller will feature two analog sticks, 8 buttons and a camera
- Primary input method via controllers similar to original Wii controllers
- Tablet-like controller can also function as a Wii sensor bar
- Controller that resembles the Gamecube controller but with a big touch screen in the middle
- Capable of running games in HD
- GPU 85 percent more powerful than the Xbox 360 (R500 series GPU) and 30 percent more than PS3
- Ability to stream content to controller from console
- Motion control with “capabilities that are better than the Playstation Move”
- Backwards-compatible with Wii games
- It will be released once 45 million Wiis have been sold in the U.S.
(Sales of the Wii actually peaked in its 3rd year, with 30 million units being sold up to November 2010. Nintendo’s Reggie Fils-Aime is quoted as saying “As we sit here today we’re saying the Wii has many, many more units to sell. After we’ve reached an installed base of 45 million here in the U.S., we can have a conversation about the next generation.” )
- The hardware will be done by October 2011, but they will hold of on releasing it until 2012 in order to give developers time to develop games.
- Will be released in June of 2012
- Will be released in Fall of 2012
- Rockstar Games has already started developing Grand Theft Auto IV for the system’s launch
- Rockstar, Ubisoft, Activision and Electronic Arts have had development units for months
- May not retain the “Wii” name. Nintendo will be actively courting the western (more “hard core”?) gamer and will most likely launch a new brand name.
- Console will not be relatively low priced like original Wii, possibly in the $350-$400 range
- System will be officially announced at this year’s E3 event
So there you have it… According to the rumors Nintendo is gearing up to release a super powerful system that is geared towards “hardcore gamers” more-so than the Wii and has some crazy tablet controller up their sleeves. How true any of these rumors are is yet to be seen, but Nintendo definitely has something in the works. One rumor that seems to be steady across all sources is that they will announce their next-gen system at this year’s E3 Expo. We shall see.
What do you think? Do any of these rumors intrigue you? If Nintendo really does release a console that resembles these rumors would you buy it?
About the Author (Author Profile)
Co-owner and PR guy for GizmoNinja.com. I’m happily married and a father to a wonderful (most of the time) son. I work in the E9-1-1 software/data industry by day and am a tech loving geek in my spare time. I’m interested in all things tech, but am big into Android especially. I dabble in a little of everything – Android development, PC development, web development, etc – but am a master of none (not even close)… But I have fun doing it anyway! =P