Slayher from TeamDouche just released a new test build of CyanogenMod 7.1 for Thunderbolt. This update brings the version to cm-7.1.0-RC0.1. Note that this is still an early Pre-alpha release meaning there ARE bugs.
The most notable fixes in this version include improved WiFi, GPS, and *drumroll please* Netflix support!
This most recent download (RC0.1 rather than RC0) also includes a fix for the camcorder which was broken on the same release just minutes-earlier.
To to sum it all up, NOT working in this pre-release are:
- EASY switching to 4G (though 4G DOES work, it just requires some fiddling about)
Google Talk w/ video only works for outgoing video, you cannot see incoming video.(This seems to be working fine on the gapps linked in this post)
- Skype w/ Video support simply will not install, due to Skype’s limited install requirements
To get this update, head over to TeamDouche’s mirror and download the zip. (Sometimes you have to click it twice)
Also, here is the newest Gapps zip. (Hosting by androidchat.org)
Last but not least, here is the Market APK for Netflix, since it still will not show up in the market.
LINK IS BEING VERY ODD, Here’s the URL, just copy/paste: http://androidchat.org/files/Random/WACOMalt/com.netflix.mediaclient-1.apk
Make a backup in Clockwork recovery
Wipe data and cache in Recovery and Flash the cm7 zip and the gapps zip.
If you want the workaround to get 4G, it’s below. Its kinda involved, but seems to work most of the time.
TO GET 4G on CM7 pre-alpha 7.1 RC0.1:
1. First, go to Settings, Wireless & networks, Mobile networks. Set your Network Mode to “CDMA / EvDo auto”
2. You should see a white 3G icon, which will shortly turn green (a few minutes for some people)
3. THE INSTANT THE 3G ICON TURNS GREEN, switch your Network Mode to “CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto”
4. Do not touch your phone after this. Let it sit, let the screen turn off. And let it sit for at least 3 minutes.
5. Turn your screen back on. If you have 4G, congrats! if you still see a Green 3G icon, let the screen time out again, give it more time, if you eventually lose the data altogether, or get a green 4G with no actual data, start over again, it eventually works.
Note that even when 4G is working perfectly you will not show any bars. That is just how it is for now.
If you can’t even get 3G (not even the white icon) set your phone to EvDo only, and restart, then switch to CDMA / EvDo auto and continue from step 2.
Good luck! and enjoy this test release courtesy of TeamDouche and Tony Layher! If you need more help, their IRC channel is on irc.freenode.net and it’s #slayher
Category: Tech News
About the Author (Author Profile)
Gizmo Ninja’s audio/video guy. I am a visual effects artist, hailing from Bellbrook, Ohio, and currently living on Los Angeles working as a Digital Compositor at Look Effects. Around the site I am primarily responsible for video editing and other graphics things. I hope to have time to start a Tutorial video series shortly.