When I saved this story to write about, I was going to tell you to head on over to the Appstore and load Skype up on your iPad. The app had been pulled likely due to a minor bug and was promptly fixed and is once again available for download. The new app is optimized for a tablet sized screen and boasts the normal features you will see from a Skype app. Here is a snippet of the announcement.
- Two-way video calling.* With Skype video calling available on iPhones, as well as in Skype for Android, Skype for Mac, Skype for Windows, Skype on HDTVs and more – you can connect to over 170 million Skype connected users worldwide**.
- Instant messaging. You can even instant message during a video call on your iPad, with emoticons to personalize your message.
- Simple to view contacts. Contacts are now displayed in a grid on Skype for iPad, showing large avatar photos – making it easy to find your contacts and conversations.
- Easy navigation. Find your recent Skype conversations and history at the touch of a button making searching simple.
- Simple SMS texting. An SMS text message can be sent by simply opening a contact and selecting SEND SMS or by opening the dial pad, typing in the number you wish to SMS and then typing your message.
One very neat option is the ability to switch between cameras during a call. You can explain something via the front camera then switch to show an example on the back camera. The company mentions using Skype at the beach on your iPad but I would suggest you not.
Source: Skype blog
About the Author (Author Profile)
Co-owner and Editor-in-Chief of GizmoNinja.com.
During the day I work in graphic design and also do photography. By night I try to play with programming and code of all different types. I love the opportunity to write for the site and hope to see it grow as time goes on.